Call Us:
+91 40 27243366 / 65446633

Contact Dermatitis


Contact dermatitis is a condition in which the skin becomes red, sore, or inflamed after direct contact with a substance. There are two kinds of contact dermatitis: irritant or allergic. About 80 percent of these reactions are caused by irritants of the skin. The remaining 20 percent of reactions are caused by allergens, which trigger an allergic response.

In allergic reactions, the reaction may not be immediate, but may start after several days. Contact dermatitis caused by an irritant that is not an allergic response occurs from direct contact with the irritant. Adults are affected by allergic contact dermatitis more than young children or the elderly.

The most common causes of allergic contact dermatitis in adults and children are

  • Soaps
  • Drool
  • Different foods
  • Detergents
  • Harsh baby lotions
  • Perfumes
  • Plants, as well as metals, cosmetics, and medications may also cause a contact dermatitis reaction:
  • Poison ivy
  • Metals- like Nickel, chrome and mercury
  • Cosmetics
  • Medications


  • Mild redness and swelling of the skin
  • Blistering of the skin
  • Itching
  • Scaling and temporary thickening of skin
  • The most severe reaction is at the contact site. The symptoms of contact dermatitis may resemble other skin conditions. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.

Request an appointment

Find a suitable time and
make your appointment


Dermacare offers wide range of dermatological services and comprehensive care for various skin problems.